Tuesday, July 5, 2011

StDev(friends) = 11

You two gentlemen are too young to be my friends!

Hmmm most of you are too young to be my friends!

..and yet you are. Good friends.


Playing MMOs for some years, I found out that a/s/l* is not that important in game cooperation. Yesterday I realised that my closest Aion friends are quite younger than me. Except one who is older. I should have expected that, since I am myself older than the average player. But it made me feel like a cougar!


Being a scientist, I calculated the average age of my closest aion friends (16 ppl) and the standard deviation (σ) of their ages. The results were expected:
  • Average age: a bit over 30
  • Standard deviation: 11



In case you are wondering what "standard deviation" means - it is a measure of how much the data varies from the average. In the graph above, it varies a lot.

Well after all this extensive statistical analysis, it is now possible to deduce one result:
I don't care about your age. It's you I want.





* a/s/l stands for age / sex / location. Used primarily as a question in chat rooms and other virtual environments,  to request info from the other person.

No comments:

Post a Comment